I am a history major with a law degree who spent about a decade working in high tech. I now work for myself, producing my own line of knitting needle organization tools and taking the occasional commission for historical costumes. I've been sewing since I was 5 years old, starting off with simple pin cushions and cloths for my dolls made from scraps left over from the dresses and costumes my mom made for me. Currently, I live in an increasingly crowded home in Virginia Beach with two chihuahuas, one beagle, one cat, and one husband.
Oda Wlslagre dicta Widoeghe
Oda is an early 15th century Flemish merchants wife. In the SCA, I use Oda to explore what life would have been like for a well-to-do woman in the Netherlands during the start of the Northern Renaissance, exploring material culture, cooking, clothing, and the crafts that she would have practiced herself or known about and handled during her life.
Practically speaking, this persona helps me to focus my research and textile explorations on a particular time and place. I still tend to branch off in other directions at times, particularly into areas of Viking and Anglo-Scandinavian studies. My persona gives me a context for my interactions with other members of the SCA and a focus for demonstrations and displays, and helps me to create a more cohesive and contextually consistent presentation in my person and my camp (yeah, I know, it's a nylon tent, we're working on that). I currently reside in the Barony of Marinus, in the Kingdom of Atlantia and was apprenticed to Mistress Margret Eyverska until my elevation to the Order of Laurel in February of 2015.
In the SCA:
- Formerly a member of the College of St. Katherine's in the Kingdom of West, known as Ennethwen verch Gwilym
- Acting Minister of Arts of Sciences, College of St. Katherine's -1997
- Corolla Vitae (Principality of the Mists) - Nov. 1997
- Barony of Marinus Baronial Arts and Sciences Champion (2009-2010)
- Award of Arms - Oct. 2010
- Award of the Water Lily (Marinus) - June, 2011
- Silver Nautilus - Jan. 2012
- Baronial Minister of Arts of Sciences - Jan. 2012 - Jan 2014
- Companion of the Corral Branch (Atlantia) - May, 2012
- Companion of the Opal (Atlantia) - April, 2013
- Coin of the Sea (Marinus) - April, 2013
- Companion of the Order of the Pearl (Atlantia) - September, 2013
- Order of the Laurel - Feb. 2015
- Smocking/Pleatwork Aprons
- Textiles for the SCA
- Survey of Tudor Fashion
- The Morgan Bible
- A&S Project Management - Agile for the Crafty
- Largess - what it is and how to make it happen