I've spent the better part of the weekend being productive for the first time in what feels like a hundred years. It was wonderful. I made cornhole bags (don't ask), knitting needle cases, finished some embarrassingly backed up work from over the summer, and redesigned my jewelry web site. I've spent a huge amount of time at the sewing machine and the ironing board, and my leg does not hurt. Hurray! Sure, I got tired, but I lasted longer that I would have even before the surgery for we're on the right track.
The collar and cuffs look to have a very short pile, my guess is it's fur. Finding a good low-pile fake fur is not going to be easy so I will probably just use velvet, hopefully in a silvery or cream color so it looks like the picture.
I'm really *really* excited about the hat. Especially since it isn't black. It sort of looks like the crown might be rounded too, but that might be a trick of the veil. I've got to decide how I want to build this thing, doing it with buckram will be easy enough but I'm not sure if that's how they were most likely made. It could also be a felt form that's been decorated. I doubt it's straw. At least I know what I need to research.