Friday, May 11, 2012

More tabletweaving!

Finishing the headband/fillet seems to have gotten me motivated to do more tabletweaving.  This is a good thing, as I need to work on getting better at it it and have several A&S50 projects related to tabletweaving.  Plus both the DH and I need some garters.

After I finished the fillet (see my previous post) I warped up some basic pearl cotton and gave the stripped London band (MOL 449) another shot.  I had used this particular band as a pattern for the first tablet weaving I ever did.  It started out a little wonky but by the end it looked pretty good, but the end result was a totally useless strip of band.  The new version was done in green and gold and will become garters for the DH.

Overall I am very pleased with how this turned out.  There are a couple of small problems with the selvedges, and I still don't like the look of my direction changes, but the band is even in width, nice and firm and actually long enough to make two garters without wierd tassels at the end.  Hopefully I can find some nice buckles and belt tips that will fit it.

For my next trick, I'm going to start on doubleface.  I have some simple patterns that aren't too wide, which should give me another set of garters and be a good learning tool.  I'm going to try in cotton first and then move on to the bamboo.  I really need to make a cloth belt for my Viking kit, so hopefully this will move me a step in that direction.

3 comments:

  1. opusanglicanum.wordpress.comMay 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

    one of the best ways to learn double weave is to draft your own patterns on graph paper and follow them. also, paint the edges of your cards, top and bottom, as this will help you keep track of your weave.

    the direction changes on the london stripe are smoother depending one where you take them in the sequence, you just need to play with it to find the best place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Some of the direction changes on the green and gold band are better than others. At some point I realized that where you made then mattered, but for whatever reason couldn't remember from switch to switch where that place was (either between colors or in the middle of a color, I can't remember). Oh well, next time it should go better and I will remember to take notes as I weave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really nice! I've tried making this band myself and had the exact same problem at the direction changes. Still, my mum was pleased, and since I made it for her I to was quite happy with it.

    Here are two blogpost about my version of the band.
    http://andrea-hakansson.blogspot.se/2012/02/till-mamma.html
    http://andrea-hakansson.blogspot.se/2012/03/en-riktigt-trevlig-dag.html
    They are in swedish, but it's really the pictures that is important.

    Thank you for a wonderful blog! I'll put you in my list of blogs that I follow! :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete