Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mammen coat progress

The embroidery for my Mammen coat is coming along very nicely.  I am looking forward to being able to wear this and show it off.  The colors look a bit Crayola-like, but that seems to be the aesthetic, and it is rather striking.  Much more so than a modern palate of colors would be.  Perhaps this means I'm developing a more refined period color sensibility.

Anyway, the neck is done and I am very pleased.  I had to improvise a bit with the back of the neck and the end of the face section and leaving them both plain didn't look quite right.  Keeping things simple seemed like the best plan.  I think it turned out well.  The sleeves are coming along really well.  I ended up changing the colors a little bit.  Both pieces are very close to the colors used in the original fragments, with a few variations to accommodate the silks I had available.

No comments:

Post a Comment