Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hood progress

Just a quick update on the Hood Of's nearly done!  I'm sewing the hems in today in between bouts of finishing up a doggie sweater commission/donation, then all I have left is to weave the hand spun sample swatches, spiff up the documentation, and put this thing to bed.  I think I just might make it!

So far, the worst thing, other than cutting into the hand woven cloth (cuz there is No More if you screw something up) has been some major problems with fraying.  I think because I ended up using a superwash yarn for the weft it didn't mesh in with the warp well and just wants to work itself loos if you look at it funny.  I can't think of any other reason for it.  I ended up having a hard time with the seam finishing, the originals weren't actually flat-felled, just stitched then closely overcast down over the raw edge, but that wasn't going to work so I had to flat-fell anyway.  Even then there are a few spots on the gussets where I'm a little worried.  Luckily it's not a high stress point so it should be fine.  I think I managed to secure everything pretty well and it should hold up just fine, even if it the seams are a touch bulkier than they should be.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment