Wednesday, March 30, 2011


I have finished the Sample Weaving of Doom.  It was...anti-climactic?  I'm not sure.  It might be that the result of the experiment is that one sample is softer than the other, and thus better for next-to-skin wear, but it might also be that this is an aberration due to my inconsistent spinning and not the reason for the weave structure at all.  I'm taking the swatches to activities night tomorrow to see if anyone else can see any difference.  The softer thing sort of makes structural sense, but I did a second sample using a different bit of wool (same breed, different color, thus somewhat different characteristics and not a perfect comparison) and I can barely tell a difference, which just confused matters. 

Anyway, I'm glad to have that done.  I've got to wrap up the writing part of the project and get everything packed up and then I'm done.  Yay!  Except for a small bit of hand-sewing, but that will take maybe an hour or two in the morning.

The problem with being done, or close to it anyway, is that I now have space to get nervous about the actual competition.  I'm still a little worried that my project is not a mighty enough effort for this thing.  It's not shiny or glittery or flashy.  Of course, I'll be judged by people who know about weaving and that sort of thing so presumably they won't be as distracted by glitter or the lack thereof.  And I should get some good feedback in any case, which is all for the good.

Sample with Z warp and S weft:

Sample with Z warp and Z weft (no idea what happened to my selvedge on this one, oh well, I sorted myself out eventually)  The bit at the bottom is done with the same commercial Z spun superwash I use for the actual hood:

No comments:

Post a Comment