Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One more down!

The Mary's Veil towel is done!  Yay!  I ended up with enough cloth that I will be able to do not only the elevation towel I was I was asked to do but several napkins for my feast gear box as well, so that's a bonus.  My soon-to-be-Laurel* suggested that I make sure to weave enough of towels I do for elevations and gift baskets and the like to at least keep a sample if not a napkin for myself, so I have a record of what I have done.  She said she didn't do this herself when she doing lots of that sort of thing and it still bothers her.  Wise advice and duly heeded. 

I really like the way the cottolin wove and washed up.  I had a little trouble getting a clean shed at a few points in the weaving, which resulted in some long weft floats on the back, but I'm pretty sure I know what happened.  Most of the time the problem was resolved by tightening up the warp, any amount of slack and I'd get snagging as I threw the shuttle and skip warps.  I wouldn't go any looser than 24 EPI with this thread.  Really, I have no idea what yarn manufacturers are thinking with their recommended warp sets, or what modern weavers are doing. 

The actual A&S 50 challenge write-up will follow, but for now here are pictures of the finished cloth!





*I am being apprenticed at Ymir this weekend to a weaving and textile arts Laurel.  For you non-SCA type people, this is someone who has been recognized as Very Good Indeed in the Arts and Sciences, and she will be my officially recognized mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment